finished project: antique dresser

Awhile ago I purchased an old antique dresser from Craigslist. You can find it in my perfect little finds section here, or just look at the before and after pictures below. I liked the color it was but since it was going in a green room I decided to repaint it. I started off by priming it and based off of multiple recommendations, I used an oil based paint in a soft cream color. I’m not so sure how I feel about oil based paints. It’s a little tough to work with and stays with you for a while if you get it on your hands (This I know from experience). Any recommendations of other paints you can used to re-finish furniture?

Besides the fact I’m not the biggest fan of working with oil paints, I’m not so sure I like the finished product either. It leaves a shiny quality that I’m just not to fond of. Suggestions? Advice? Opinions? All are welcome!

Before

After

Overall, I really like the color, especially with the green wall. I think what it needs are different knobs to add some more contrast. Maybe one of these?

UPDATE on Project Pillow Case:

So I sat down the other morning to give myself a little tour of Sally Singer Sewing Machine mentioned in an earlier post. Since I can’t find my owner’s manual, must have gotten lost in the move(s), I decided to look up a tutorial on how to thread a sewing machine on YouTube. It actually help greatly and I was able to get it all set up and ready to go. Or so I thought. I decided to test it out on a little piece of fabric I had lying around but when I did, the top thread got all tangled in the bobbin and I had a big mess on my hands. Needless to say, I had to pull apart the bobbin compartment and now I can’t seem to figure out how to put it back together again. Have no fear though! Momma to the rescue! Since my parents are coming down in a couple of weeks for a visit I decided to hold off on project pillow case and have her help me fix my machine and possibly show me a thing or two.

Stay tuned!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Antiques, Little Projects and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to finished project: antique dresser

  1. Nice work Amanda – I love a good DIY before and after post! I agree on the knobs – Anthropology has such a wicked collection. If you want to avoid spending the $$$, you could always trying a pop of colour with some spray paint. Good luck!

  2. teri Capalby says:

    Some cute knobs will make all the difference, some cute glass ones will make it look more antique. Avoid the ones with flowers, it will make it look to little girlish. You might want to check out home depot and lowes to get a cheaper price on the knobs, just to see what they have. On the oil based paint, it is good that you used that because it will last longer and not chip as bad. Next time ask for a flat based oil to avoid the shine if you don’t want that, but I think it looks fine. The people at the paint counters are a wealth of info when it comes to paint, make sure to ask their opinions. Be there soon to help with the sewing machine but you should order your instruction manual online if you can because you will need it in the future for other stitches. Love,
    yo momma

  3. Viv says:

    Amanda, it sounds like you had the sewing machine set up correctly, but when you start sewing you should hold the threads (both bobbin and top thread) when you do the first couple of stitches, otherwise they can get sucked down into the bobbin case. If you can’t wait til your Mom comes, you should be able to find another tutorial on how to thread the bobbin correctly. You might find you can download a copy of your machines manual online too. Is there anywhere close you can take a sewing class? Not only would it help but you usually get to meet lovely people too!

    Good luck with your sewing!

  4. kat says:

    Cute find! It would look good with some new knobs!

  5. Anne says:

    Cute dresser, and I adore the colour 🙂 some new knobs will definitely work!

  6. murphysrun says:

    Me, I like the color minus the too-glossy finish, and I would keep the knobs. I think they give it “period authenticity”. 🙂

  7. Joan says:

    I actually think it looks pretty darn good…though I hate to work with oil paint I have had to at times and it definitely is durable. Knobs are always a good way to dress it up…and there are some really cool ones…or perhaps try to make your own! More projects.
    By the way, I found a great way to get oil based paints off your hands is to use olive oil. Worked great and not so toxic…unfortunately, I have not tried it on brushes and tend to buy throw-away ones…another thing I hate to do.
    There are great stains but that would mean you would have to take all the paint off…too much work now for sure!
    good luck, you inspire me…perhaps I will finish that bathroom…soon…..

    Joan

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s